Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Week 6 - Day 2 ... It's Wet Out There!

Did I ever pick a bad time to run today. I was out there for about 12 minutes and the rain started to come down. Well what do you do when this happens? You don't have much of a choice other than keep running! As you can see the results are good, but thought I would have hit just under the 13:00 mark. I don't see why an improvement to 12:50 by this coming Sunday couldn't happen?

Total Distance: 2.28 mi
Total Time: 30:00
Avg Pace: 13:04 /mi
Heart Rate: 146 bpm

The heart rate is back up. I also have to say the breathing got a fair bit harder than I would have liked. I got wheezy. My lung capacity felt like it was cut in half ... sorta like breathing from 1L pop bottles instead of 2L. It's like you know the capacity is there, it just isn't being used to its full potential. Your body is screaming for more oxygen, but you can't get enough in. It's harder to breath out than it is to breath in. There is no way I could have a normal conversation while running, my lungs are working too hard!

The concern here comes from the fact that I'm asthmatic. I'm really starting to test the waters now with the change to run 1 / walk 2. Each 2 minute walk break didn't seem to be quite enough time to catch my breath. Being asthmatic is no reason to quit or say "I can't do this" either, the key is just to make sure my asthma symptoms are under control. So is it under control? I'm not sure to be honest. I did take a puff or two on the run and it helped a bit, but not as much as I expected. I've never pushed myself this hard before ... or it has just been a very long time. A visit to the family doctor might be a good idea though ... sorta let him in on what I've been up to, HAHA. Maybe he'll have some suggestions.

Thursday here we come!

2 comments:

Sherri Lavender said...

Sounds like a visit to the doc might be a good idea!

kathryn said...

Mark! I really admire what you're doing!!! Good for you! As a fellow asthmatic, i think a visit to the doc is in order. I'd even request a consult with a Respirologist - which is what i had to do and that was a good thing, helped me get my asthma under good, daily control.