Monday, May 28, 2007

Running Changes Everything - Part 1

Once I started training for this coming event in January, it wasn't too far in that I realized other things in my life would have to change in order to succeed. More was necessary than just the physical exercise to get me across the finish line.

The biggest thing to swallow wasn't even the running itself, it was the necessary change in diet. You can't start running and expect to get good results from the junk that you're consuming right? So I started making changes ...

My guideline is pretty straightforward. Don't consume what you know is bad for you. Cut out what isn't necessary. Consume more of what you know is good, and in a balanced fashion. It's amazing what a simple principle can accomplish. For starters I just cut out extra calories. I'm just drinking water mostly these days. Skim milk is still on the menu. Juice and pop though I've pretty much cut out all together, they might be a treat on the weekend if I'm lucky. No eating after 7:00pm. Make sure to have a good breakfast in the morning. My fast food joints of choice are pretty much history. I really hope the Wendy's down the road from work doesn't close because of me, I'd feel bad! As for the other places like Kelsey's, Boston Pizza, Swiss Chalet, and Subway, I've just been more intelligent about what I'm picking from the menu. No more Chocolate Eruption Cheese Cake for me, not regularly anyway! It's all about moderation. I think our western society has seriously forgotten what that means.

Well it's been 6 weeks now since the change in eating habits. The results so far? Well when I first started walking around the first week of April, I weighed 194lbs. Today I'm happy to say that's down to a cool 178lbs and counting! That's 16lbs in 6 weeks!! I'm pretty sure there is at least another 10lbs clinging around that I could shed in the next 6 weeks! I'm not missing the old eating habits all that much either, and I can still treat myself from time to time without feeling I'm depriving myself and that's great!

I'll continue with Part 2 another day. Tomorrow is walk 1 / run 1, once again a new challenge. Remember ... running changes everything!

2 comments:

nickt said...

Great results on the dieting! Wow, that has to be a huge boost. Just in time for summer!

Carla said...

AWESOME!!!