Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Week 4 - Day 2

Today the running started. The soreness I was feeling in my lower left leg yesterday is now gone, so that was a relief.

I managed to do 4 sets of run for 1, walk for 4 (not including the last walk for 4). After the 4th set of run for 1, the lower legs were massively tight and cramped, and I was starting to feel pain toward the base of my lower right leg at the back. I had to stop. There was no other option. If I had pushed any further, I am almost certain I would have sustained an injury. Once I had stopped, I noticed it was virtually impossible to raise my toes and try and point them towards the sky. That's just how tight the shins were. So instead of being out there for 30 minutes, it was more like 16.

Total Distance: 1.05 mi
Total Time: 16:06
Avg Pace: 15:18 /mi
Heart Rate: 136 bpm

Disappointed? Yeah I am. I still think my attitude is in the right place though ... I want this to work. I want this to happen.

After getting home, I hopped on the web looking for more information about stretching pertaining to running. I learned I need to be stretching ALL of the right muscles used when running, not just a few of them. They would be as follows:

1) Calves
2) Hamstrings
3) Quadriceps
4) Groin
5) Hip Flexors

I was really only stretching calves and quadriceps up until now. Also the information stated that running creates a slight muscular imbalance in the legs as the hamstring and calf muscles develop at a faster rate than the quadriceps and shins. The solution?

WEIGHT TRAINING HELPS ADDRESS THE IMBALANCE

I alluded to doing strength training back in early April, but I have yet to do any thus far. It seems to be a necessity at this point. I'm seriously out of shape and that's a reality. It can be fixed though. I really am starting out from scratch here. It has been years since I did any type of physical activity on a regular basis.

As for Thursday's run ... I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should do. At a minimum I should at least walk like I've done up until now. Shouldn't I be able to walk at a fast pace without discomfort first before moving on to running? I'm just not sure ... but I want to keep moving ahead. I have a goal I intend to achieve.

Suggestions?

ps. Thanks John and Glenn for your recent tips and encouragement. It is most appreciated.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Mark, I'm very proud of you. You're sticking to this and becoming dedicated - well done! Its inspiring, really. Keep it up.

nickt said...

John & Glenn have pretty much nailed it. Running is a mind game. Yes, your legs hurt, that's not in the mind. But consider what you're doing to them. You're picking them up and slamming your entire weight on to them, one at a time, repeatedly at a fast pace. It's going to hurt until you build those muscles. It will hurt, but it will get better. You HAVE to stick with it. The run/walk program is the best format for starting from scratch.

You've already made good progress mentally by admitted your current level of fitness. Stay committed to making that level better.

What kind of shoes are you using? Neutral, stability, motion control? If you're in the wrong shoes that will cause pain. If you didn't already, go to a good running shop (NOT a sports store) and get them to look at your gait.

Stay with it!

Mark said...

@ Denise:

Thank you!! =)

@ Nick:

I did go to Running Room and had a proper fitting done. My feet neither over pronate or under pronate (if I recall correctly), so I guess they would fall into the Neutral (Chushioning?) category. I have a pair of Asics Gel-Nimbus VIII's. They are quite comfortable and the feet themselves have never been a problem so far. I would think I have the right shoes for my gait ... always couldn't hurt to go back and double check it ...

Thanks for your input and encouragement too. Yesterday I made up my mind that I would get out and run again today anyway. I'm gonna do whatever necessary to make this happen!