Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Week 1 - Day 2

I just completed another walk and this time my Mother tagged along. We didn't take the same route that I have on the previous two walks, so I can't be certain of the distance traveled.

It seems my lower right leg is still bothering me, and feels as if the muscles are tightening up or are not stretched? I did stretch today before heading out. Why only the right leg and not the left as well? It isn't the calf muscle or achilles tendon either, it's more the muscle(s) or tendon(s) on the outer right side and over towards the front. This worries me a bit as what I describe could possibly be explained here as shin splints. Maybe it's just because I've been inactive for so long. Suggestions from any experienced runners out there?

Well 35 more minutes down and the discomfort isn't turning me off yet. Let's hope it goes away in the next few weeks ...

Bring on Thursday!

2 comments:

Krista said...

Mark, I think you can expect some aches and pains in the early days. Try not to get too stressed about them, but do continue to pay attention should anything change or become worse. You've got good shoes, right? That's the most important thing!

Stretching will help - I normally try to stretch after I'm warmed up. Maybe walk 5 minutes, then find a nice big tree to lean up against and do a few stretches before continuing on.

Keep going! You'll be amazed at what you can do!

Carla said...

Hey Mark, I got really excited reading your blog. I'm proud of you for taking these steps (literal ones too) to better health.
WOOOHOOO!!!

Carla