Sunday, April 8, 2007

Week 1 - Day 1

For those of you reading this blog who are not familiar with this type of training, it's going to be happening 4 days a week; Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. For the month of April, the first 3 days of training out of the 4 will be 30 minute walks. The 4th day of training (Saturday) will be 60 minute walks. During the off days I hope to do some strength training, so stay tuned for info on this as I work out the details.

For my 30 minute walk today I had picked up the pace a notch since I hit the 1 mile mark at 15 minutes. I probably over did it a bit though as from that point on I felt increased stiffness in my lower right leg. It wasn't painful, although it came pretty darn close! I had to slow things down, so the walk ended up being 35 minutes instead.

It looks like I'll need something like a Garmin Forerunner once the actual running starts in May. Then it will be much easier to accurately track distance travelled, speed, etc. So I covered 2 miles today that was still above pace from Saturday's 60 minute walk. Monday should be a nice break until my next walk on Tuesday.

1 comment:

nickt said...

Mark,

Glad to see you're taking up running. Just go slow and easy, try to avoid over-use injuries at all costs. The slower the better.

I'll follow along, looking forward to seeing how it pays off for you.