Sunday, July 8, 2007

Week 13 - Day 1

Today it was far more warmer and humid outside for my run, which was a challenge for me when it came to the breathing and endurance. I seemed to do alright despite this anyway going by the results.

Total Distance: 1.76 mi
Total Time: 20:00
Avg Pace: 11:23/mi
Heart Rate: 133 bpm

Over the last few weeks, I've also noticed how tempting it is to stop sometimes and take a break or force myself to keep going and resist the urge to stop. I know all runners battle this, especially in the later stages of a run. Sometimes I've overcome that urge to stop and kept going, but other times I've taken that short break even though I know I really shouldn't have. Surely this is something I can overcome. It's not going to help me on the day of the race. Fortunately I've got 6 months ahead of me to work on it.

If there is anything I've learned about myself from running so far, it's the negative thoughts that run through my head that potentially set me up for failure. This will surely be the biggest thing to overcome in the days ahead. I really would like to be that guy who is a little more optimistic in general and keep pressing on towards the goal.

Right now I'm just grateful that I'm still on track with no injuries. Now that is a blessing.

4 comments:

glennlavender said...

We were just talking about your blog tonight. I was saying that I was missing it, but Sherri assured me you hadn't stopped running which I didn't think was the case but I sure am glad to see all these runs posted now. Looks like things are progressing well. Your 7 mile run looked great man!! Pace was only slightly slower than your average runs which is to be expected. Actually, I would have expected a bigger difference!
Stick with it Mark you are doing awesome. We are so proud of you and all you've accomplished already. Can't wait to see you cross that finish line!!!

Krista said...

You are doing awesome Mark!
Keeping the inner-dialogue positive is so important. I thought I had the positive thinking thing nailed down when I ran the Toronto Marathon last year - but I learned that without enough fuel, your mind is going to do it's own thing...and chances are, it won't be good! Have you been using any energy drinks or protein bars on your longer runs yet? You're getting to that point in your training where fuel is going to become very important.

Mark said...

Thanks guys, appreciated. Krista on the last two long runs I've used Gatorade, just not sure how much of it I should be drinking. Normally I just use water and pretty much drink as much as I want. I've also noticed that Accelerade is out there now which is both a carbs and protein drink. Contains milk though, so that'd be OK for me, but not so good for Glenn! I've yet to try any protein bars. Any one you like in particular?

Krista said...

I don't do so well with food and running - what did the best for me was a watered-down Gatorade. I screwed up the ratio during the marathon though, and that really messed me up. If you're okay to eat solids, I'd recommend Clif bars - or, if you have a helper, bananas are the BEST!!!